Ophir Energy unsuccessful in Tanzania’s East Pande Block and Block 7

[twitter-follow screen_name=’oilnewskenya’]

Ophir Energy has announced that Tende-1 well drilled in the East Pande block has been unsuccessful with no moveable hydrocarbon encountered.

The well which reached a depth of 4153 meters according to Ophir encountered water at 781 meters and gas traces in the upper strata of the primary objective.

The company was also unsuccessful in the Mkuki-1 well in Block 7 drilled to a total depth of 3,204m targeting a Tertiary-aged stratigraphic prospect .

In Mkuki-1 Ophir located water in depths of 1,648m as well as high quality sandstone sequence, but no hydrocarbons were present.

The Company now says it will evaluate the wider impact of this find as it integrates the well results into its understanding of the remaining prospects in the East Pande block.

Ophir acquired licenses to the East Pande block in 2011 and covers an offshore and onshore area in excess of 7,500km2.

In the East Pande Block Ophir Energy plc has a 70% interest following an agreement with Ras Al Khaimah Gas Tanzania Ltd (RAKGas) to acquire the interest and Operatorship of a Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) .

In Block 7 Ophir has an 80% operating interest while the remaining 20% is held by Mubadala Petroleum.

[twitter-follow screen_name=’oilnewskenya’]

Author: Samuel Kamau Mbote